Who to Notify

Who to notify

When a death occurs, you may need to notify certain people or organisations regarding the passing of your loved one. To help you determine who may need notification, we have generated the following list to get you started.

Government Agencies

  • Centrelink
  • Department of Veteran Affairs
  • Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
  • Transport Department – Car Registration
  • Electoral Office
  • Medicare
  • Australia Post
  • Local Government – rates, fire levy, etc.

Financial Institution

  • Superannuation company
  • Bank
  • Building Societies
  • Loan companies
  • Credit Unions
  • Insurance Companies – eg: Life, Accident, Home and Contents, Vehicle
  • Friendly Society
  • Health Benefits Fund
  • Credit Card Provider

Professional Offices & Unions

  • Solicitor and/or Public Trustee
  • Accountant
  • Trade Unions or professional associations
  • Chamber of Commerce

Service Organisations

  • Electricity / Gas company
  • Household help, gardening services of ‘Meals on Wheels’
  • Home nursing service
  • Home delivery service (eg: newspaper, subscriptions)
  • Home appliances and whitegoods rental
  • Doctor, Specialist or Hospital
  • Dentist
  • Chemist

Other Organisations

  • Clubs & organisations such as Rotary, Lions, Apex, Red Cross, RSL, etc.
  • Church of religious organisations
  • Employer / former employer
  • School, University or other educational institution

We realise that this is not a completed list of people and organisations who may need to be notified to finalise any estate issues, however we trust that this is a helpful guide.